Saturday, September 29, 2012

Book Review: Armor of God - The Paladin by Tracy Lesch

Hello everyone,

Time for another book review. I do have to apologize again for the inconsistency in my posts as of late. Work has been very busy, and it affects everything else. So I guess just don't expect a weekly post for some time. I will do my best. The book to discuss is titled Armor of God - The Paladin by Tracy Lesch.




Armor of God - The Paladin was a finalist in the 2012 Global eBook Awards.  The book follows Jean Baptiste, a monk turned warrior in service of the Christian God, battling demons and evil wherever he goes. 

There isn't any more I wish to divulge in the description, but I do want to say this - I am not a very religious person, if at all. For that reason, I was very hesitant reading this book, What I decided to do for myself was to take the perspective that this was really no different than reading any mythological based story. If it's good for Zeus, Odin, and Roman Deitys, why not Christian ones too? It really did allow me to open up to it, and look at the book objectively.

With that being said, I am very glad i took that approach. What I found was a really good story of loss, revenge, and work towards self-redemption.  Lesch's story is told by Baptiste himself, in first person, which adds a nice perspective to things. It also narrows the view down to that of the main character, but in this case, it felt essential in learning about Baptiste's past and the events that led him down his path. The battle scenes are quite descriptive and painted wonderfully vivd images in my mind. There are certain moments when the story almost has a Bram Stoker's Dracula feel, where the hunt is on. 

Overall I have to say this book is quite a good read, and worth the time. I look forward to Lesch's sequel, Armor of God - The Heretic. I give this book 4 stars. If you can deal with the religious component, give this book a go. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

This book is available at the Smashwords website for the cost of $2.99. Not a bad price if you ask me. Here is the link:  http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/113682

Until next time,

R. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment